Dim lights, acoustic music and floor-level preaching create an inviting environment at Forum Christian Church’s new Sunday evening service at 5:45 p.m.
The nondenominational Christian church added its fourth service, which starts at 5:45 p.m., a few weeks ago. So far, the response has been positive, Executive Minister Bradley Williams said.
“It serves people who would otherwise be working in the morning, which is a pretty significant number of people,” he said.
Each service offered has a different feel – the earlier services are more traditional, while the later are more relaxed, even though they have the same teaching from the minister, Senior Minister Scott Sutherland said.
The evening service also coincides with children's activities.
“We have a lot of programming that happens on Sunday nights, so to have a service at the same time provides opportunity for people to drop their kids off for a youth program or children’s theatre,” Williams said.
Some members of the church are switching service times, while others who attend the Sunday night service are visiting for the first time.
“We found we had a lot of first-time people and had some people we didn’t know had started working on Sundays that were able to return,” Sutherland said.
Attendee Ashley Pritchett said she usually goes to Sunday morning services but decided to try out the evening service because of a race she ran that morning.
Another reason for the service was feeling a call by God for community outreach. But Sutherland said there's another practical consideration, too. The new service helps alleviate pressure from other service times – the church’s first service on Sunday mornings is at capacity with about 400 people. The goal for the 5:45 service was 30 people, and about 60 came.
Sunday service times at Forum Christian Church
- Missouri celebrates the first night of Hanukkah - Dec 17, 2014
- Megachurches to consider using Apple Pay for tithing - Oct 16, 2014
- Evangelical-themed apocalypse movie “Left Behind” launches today - Oct 3, 2014
- Rosh Hashanah Events at the University of Missouri - Sep 24, 2014
- Candles for Peace - Sep 22, 2014
- For some faith groups, a new study reinforces teachings about hookup culture - Sep 10, 2014
- Photos: A look at CROP Hunger Walk Day - Oct 8, 2013
- Community to come together for annual CROP Hunger Walk - Oct 5, 2013
- Lecture “Yoga and Spirituality” demonstrates how yoga can be healing - Dec 5, 2012
- ‘Cotton Patch Gospel’ musical performed at First Presbyterian Church - Oct 22, 2012