We've spent the past week bringing you stories of religion and violence from around the country – what happens when violence crosses thresholds in churches, synagogues and mosques? Here's a quick wrap-up, where you can find all the stories in one place.
Part 1: Just how common is violence in people's holy places? What are people doing to prevent and respond to attacks? This first story gives a general overview; the second is a guide of best practices – what should you do when faced with an active shooter?
- READ: The business of church safety. By Ann Marie Somma, HartfordFAVS.com (Bonus: A cool map of violent incidents around the country.)
- READ: Go down swingin': Q-and-A with sergeant Michael Hestir. By Kellie Kotraba, ColumbiaFAVS.com.
Part 2: What's the pulse of a faith community who's gone through violence? This story takes us to Ohio, where people are living in the aftermath of an arson attack on a mosque.
- READ: Houses of worship follow federal advice, develop violence-response plans. By David Yonke, ToledoFAVS.com.
Part 3: How do you move on when your worship space has been destroyed, but you don't know who or what is behind it? Moving on is exactly what the people of Joplin are doing following a mysterious fire last year.
- READ: Moving on: Joplin Muslim community moves forward after mosque burns to ground. By Kellie Kotraba, ColumbiaFAVS.com.
Part 4: How do you balance service and safety – welcoming people in, but locking doors tight? That's what churches in Spokane are exploring.
- READ: Staying safe while ministering to the mentally ill, poor. By Tracy Simmons, SpokaneFAVS.com.
Part 5: Whether it’s gunshots, fires or fists, when violence touches a congregation it’s felt in ripples, often for years to come – and that's the case in one North Carolina church community.
- READ: After bombings, shootings, a book and now a movie: Sellerstown church community healing. By Amanda Greene, WilmingtonFAVS.com.
- What’s your favorite place to pray? - Jun 3, 2014
- Changes ahead for Columbia Faith & Values: A letter from the editor - May 23, 2014
- Two-room Lutheran school provides close-knit classroom setting - May 23, 2014
- How faith communities fit into youth mental wellness - May 9, 2014
- Does your faith group have a disaster plan? - Apr 28, 2014
- Springfield ‘Duck Dynasty’ show canceled - Apr 21, 2014
- Islamic Center to hold annual open house - Apr 21, 2014
- Annual Hero Awards winners announced, honored for service - Apr 15, 2014
- PHOTO: The Blessing of the Palms - Apr 14, 2014
- PHOTOS: Palm Sunday procession persists in spite of precipitation - Apr 13, 2014