Last week the St. Louis archdiocese requested a judge dismiss a lawsuit against Archbishop Robert Carlson for failing to prevent a molestation. The Rev. Joseph Jiang is facing criminal charges of first-degree child endangerment and tampering connected to his alleged misconduct.
Support continues to build for the release of a Missouri man in prison. Shakir Hamoodi pleaded guilty in 2012 to violating sanctions levied against Iraq by illegally sending money to the country to help his family and friends before the U.S.-led Iraq war.
Last Friday, the Missouri School of Religion recognized a rural community pastor with the John Bennett Award for Ministry. Rev. Clairnel Nervik has served Peace United Church of Christ in Hartsburg, Mo., for more than seven years.
Last weekend, First Baptist Church in downtown Columbia hosted a guest speaker in honor of its 190th anniversary. The guest speaker was a Baptist historian and held a series of talks titled, “What makes a Baptist a Baptist?”
A St. Louis Christian radio station announced it will be launching new station near the beginning of the 2014 calendar year. The new station will be focused on teens and young adults by playing hip-hop, rap, pop and rock.
In national news: On Sunday, several hundred people gathered for the launch of Sunday Assembly, an “atheist mega-church” in Los Angeles. The trend of “atheist mega-churches” has been growing and have been popping up worldwide.
In Internet-related news, the Vatican secured the new Internet domain name “.catholic,” and is deciding how to make use of it. The Holy See said it will be reserved for church-related organization, not individuals.
And for the travelers out there, on Monday, the Vatican revealed it would display bones believed to be the mortal remains of St. Peter. The bones will be displayed for the first time on Nov. 24.
- Rural church community keeps small town united: A close look at Peace United Church of Christ - Dec 30, 2013
- Have you converted? What was your main reason? - Dec 6, 2013
- Facing death: Couple develops strategy while coping with cancer - Dec 4, 2013
- Midweek Missouri Faith Fix: A scouting alternative, food for the homeless and an effort to make a difference - Dec 4, 2013
- Interfaith Thanksgiving: 11 quotes of thanks - Nov 25, 2013
- Midweek Missouri Faith Fix: Hamoodi, a rural pastor and Christian radio - Nov 14, 2013
- MU students learn about Two-Spirit identity in Native American culture - Nov 12, 2013
- Rev. Clairnel Nervik honored for work - Nov 11, 2013
- Rural community pastor recognized for worldly service - Nov 11, 2013
- Almeta Crayton: Forever in our hearts - Nov 1, 2013