Room at the Inn, the emergency winter homeless shelter run as a collaboration among churches, will stay open until March 6 – about one week later than originally planned.
The shelter exists to give provide a place for people to sleep during the coldest time of the year, and with temperatures expected to dip again at the end of this week, coordinators made the decision to keep it open just a little longer, instead of closing on Feb. 28.
Broadway Christian Church will host the shelter during this extended time.
Unlike in years past, the shelter moved around to different churches this year, so they could share the hosting responsibilities. Broadway was first on the schedule, and the shelter has moved to a different location every week or two since then. The current host church is Community United Methodist Church.
When some of the churches weren’t large enough to accommodate everyone, Family Worship Center stepped in as an overflow space. Broadway Christian Church then stepped in to that role, since it is more centrally located – Broadway Christian is on West Broadway, near HyVee and Walmart, while Family Worship Center is south of town on Bonne Femme Church Road.
For more information, contact Debby Graham at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To volunteer, sign up online on the Room at the Inn Sign-up Genius page. (The page has been down due to technical difficulties; if it is still not working, contact Graham at the email address above.)
- What’s your favorite place to pray? - Jun 3, 2014
- Changes ahead for Columbia Faith & Values: A letter from the editor - May 23, 2014
- Two-room Lutheran school provides close-knit classroom setting - May 23, 2014
- How faith communities fit into youth mental wellness - May 9, 2014
- Does your faith group have a disaster plan? - Apr 28, 2014
- Springfield ‘Duck Dynasty’ show canceled - Apr 21, 2014
- Islamic Center to hold annual open house - Apr 21, 2014
- Annual Hero Awards winners announced, honored for service - Apr 15, 2014
- PHOTO: The Blessing of the Palms - Apr 14, 2014
- PHOTOS: Palm Sunday procession persists in spite of precipitation - Apr 13, 2014